He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress and for his children it will be a refuge.
Proverbs 14:26

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Handprint Skirt




I will be the first to tell you that I do not have a creative bone in my body.  I'm a great copy cat.  Someone else shows me a fabulous idea and exactly how to do that idea then I'm all about carrying it through.  But actually coming up with the idea- nope, not me at all.  So anyway, 11 years ago may be the last original idea I had.  I only had 2 kids back then and a lot more brain cells.  I'm not claiming that this is any kind of fantastic idea.  I'm sure there are plenty who do it, but it was original to me at the time.  This was before pinterest, before facebook and crafty blogs.  We were living in a temporary house and our Christmas decor was somewhat pitiful.   I needed a tree skirt so AJ and Maddie and I headed up to Walmart in search of the perfect idea.  We came home with a heavy piece of white fabric and some red edging type ribbon.  Sewed the pieces together and voila, our Christmas tree skirt.  Starting when Abbey and Maddie were 2.5 and 4 months, we started our handprint tradition and minus a year here, a year there (when we were traveling and not with our stuff), we've continued the tradition.

It's really fun to see how it's filled up over the years especially now that we have 4 sets of handprints!

Getting the writing just so is hard with puff paint!

The finished product is very "home grown" and not exactly elegant, but we love it!

A sweet reminder of little hands that are growing up way too fast!

6 comments:

Kitty Brown said...

I'm loving this!! Just put a plain skirt on my Hobby Lobby list for today :)

Alison H said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! What a wonderful idea! I love to create things, but I'm kinda like you in that I'm not so great at the coming up with an idea part! Thanks for this one!

Tracy said...

I love this idea. So cute!!!

Brittney Galloway said...

So cute!! Now if only I knew how to sew a tree skirt!

Kelli said...

Promise there was not any "know how" to it! I cut out a massive circle, then a smaller circle inside it with a slit down the back and sewed on the border ( I did use my sewing machine for that part but you wouldn't have to!)

James Larry Cox said...

Reminds me of the Barn measuring post at Ton Tenga! Good going, Kelli! papa