He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress and for his children it will be a refuge.
Proverbs 14:26

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas tree skirt


I admittedly am not the most crafty person in the world- especially when it comes to coming up with my own creative ideas- typically it just doesn't happen.  For that reason I must confess that as homey as our little tree skirt may look, I am pretty proud of it.  Completely my own original idea.  When Abbey and Maddie were itty bitty and we lived in the states, I actually made use of my sewing maching a good bit. (overseas it has not come out of the closet because, well, honestly I think I've forgotten how to use it and I'm afraid I'll kill it with the wrong transformer).  Anyway, back in the day  I smocked and sewed dresses, play outfits, even curtains and other things for the house.  For Maddie's first Christmas (Abbey was 2), I wanted to come up with a fun tree skirt that we could use over the years.  I used a basic white thick durable fabric that we could paint on, sewed a border around it, and so the tradition began.


Every year since (minus a few when we have been in transent or in some weird place where I couldn't find green paint) we have put the girls handprints  along with the date and a little design.  They have so much fun looking back at their little hands from years past.  Today Maddie was showing Naomi how her hands were the same size as Maddie's when she was three.  And let's just be honest, fingerpainting is always fun...





Yes, Abbey has somewhat of a pained look- she's never been too thrilled with getting dirty- fun or not...

Maddie on the other hand couldn't be more thrilled...


And Naomi was ready to join in the fun...



Here's the finished handprints:


 
 

I'll post a final picture of the tree skirt back under the tree when I bring it back in tomorrow after the paint dries...

No comments: