He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress and for his children it will be a refuge.
Proverbs 14:26

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"Fashionable"

So, my oldest two have a new favorite term- fashionable. Ex, "Madde, that's a very fashionable sweater." or "Mommy, that's such a fashionable purse." I haven't exactly pinpointed where the abundant use of this word is coming from but MOST of the time it makes me giggle when they use it. Except for last week. And let me just clarify that I have my mom to thank for this. Mom, Annie as the girls call her, has gotten in the habit of sending fancy Christmas party dresses each year. Not the traditional smocked dresses, I'm talking fancy. Nothing over the top of course- I think they come from Target. Last year for example, they both had black velvet dresses with various bows, ribbons etc. This year, Abbey's is a deep purple combo of velvet and satin and Maddie's is dark navy with black velvet. Both have some sort of diamond sparkly pins somewhere on them. So, with the dresses, Annie has immediately earned herself the reputation of being a very "fashionable" grandmother. Let me add here, that this is not be any means at the expense of Nana- Jason's mom. In other words, it doesn't seem that Annie is the fashionable grandmother while Nana is the unfashionable one. No, it seems, that I get to be the lucky one who fills the role of unfashionable...

Last week in the car on the way home from school the girls and I were chatting. I don't really remember the context of our conversation, but I'm pretty sure it was related to Annie's fashionable taste concerning the new dresses. Before I know it, Abbey is telling me and Maddie is agreeing that "Well, Mommy, you're just not very fashionable. I mean you never wear fancy scarves or fancy jewelry or anything like that." (At this point I realized that not only do I have my mom to blame, but also all the single young girls that hang around with us who are always incredibly well put together- with nice scarves and fancy jewelry) I kind of laughed the whole thing off (after reminding them of course to be careful with their words because they ALMOST hurt my feelings.

The next night at dinner I was telling Jason about our conversation saying something like, "So, apparently the girls don't think I'm too fashionable." At this point I was getting exaggerated reactions from them, "MOMMY, you ARE fashionable. You DO dress nice" etc etc. I was kind of enjoying watching them squirm. UNTIL- Abbey looks at Jason and say, "It's nto that she's not fashionable. It's just that shes' kind of plain." Good grief! I give up! I just happened to be going to Bible study that night so I came out with my fancy (and only) scarf (that Annie made) and the snazziest earrings I could find (not very). The girls approved and we are all still laughing about mommies lack of fashion sense in the eyes of her 9 and 7 tear olds!

6 comments:

Sara Campbell said...

That story is a keeper! I love it.

jccvi said...

I love to imagine what Abbey and Maddie's perspective on things must be having grown up in France and Lebanon. I guess because they fit in so well when yall are home, it always surprises me to think that something as simple as a backyard is generally outside their experience.

With all that said, I can't get over the thought that they think of Memphis as a fashion capital, when they can walk down the street to the Cartier and Hermes emporiums.

There is no doubt that Mom is glamorous though.

embc said...

i love those girls!! they would think that i'm not very fashionable either. jeans and a sweater are about as far as i go these days...maybe earrings are on, but usually not because thomas pulls on them.

if it makes you feel any better, i think you are very fashionable...maybe not as glamorous as shar pei...but you could always bedazzle something. oh, christmas idea!!

Kendra said...

LOL Can you imagine when they are 15 and 13?? Holy cow. Just think back to when you thought your mother had horrible taste and maybe you'll feel better, although, apparently your mother is exceptionally fashionable, so, on the second thought - maybe you better not try to comfort yourself w/ that thought :) heehee
You are a fashion diva in my book. I dig your style woman!

Anonymous said...

I find this so amusing in the light of our experiences as kids. You were always 'in style' while I was usually not. Can't imagine what they'd say about my style *grin*

Anonymous said...

Does Naomi get in on this "fashionable" analysis, or is she still judging fashion on Barbie's Dancing Princesses?