He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress and for his children it will be a refuge.
Proverbs 14:26

Saturday, October 4, 2008

I've fallen and I can't get up...

This is definitely outdated but it's a story worth telling especially since I now have the video to go with it. When we were in Jordan with the Cox family in April Naomi fell on the playground and got a pretty nasty gash right above her eye. After an unsuccessful trip to one very ghetto hospital (during which I fainted but that's not worth mentioining)- anyway, after that we arrived at a very reputable hospital in Amman Jordan and the ER doc determined that Naomi would need a plastic surgeon due to the location of the cut and her tendency as a two year old to "not cooperate" Soo... they take us up to the surgery suite and start getting things together. They did put a hep-loc in (the little IV port that they can access if needed but doesn’t actually have an IV bag attached) and then just before the procedure they proceeded to give her undiluted IV morphine straight into her blood stream. They hadn’t even taken her vital signs, her weight- NOTHING. Jason and I watched her float off into “la la” land in a matter of seconds and then they took her back and made us leave the room. It all happened so fast that my protests made no difference (the fainting incident earlier still had me a little disoriented) and I don’t think the Arab speaking nurses really understood what I was protesting about anyway. By the time they gave her the Morphine the English speaking plastic surgeon was already waiting in the OR. Anyway- longest 10 minutes of my life! I was absolutely convinced they were going to come out and tell me they had oversedated her into a coma! Thankfully the story has a funny ending- bet you guys have never seen a two year old totally high on morphine- and the high lasted another hour at least. All the way back to where we were staying from the hospital, she was singing every disney song she knew and talking up a storm. The attached (I hope) video is once we got back to the guest house wiht the rest of the Coxes. She could hardly stand up but didn't want to be held. She was grasping for things in the air. It was pretty funny once I got past the fear of how heavily medicated she was! Here's the link to the video...http://vupload.new.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=29681768198

2 comments:

jccvi said...

Hmm...do you ever look at yourself in the mirror and say, "how have I come to the point in my life where there are videos of my morphine-addled toddler on the internet?"

Kendra said...

The link didn't work for me - probably b/c i'm not on facebook. So sad. I'm convinced i'm the last person in the universe that hasn't caved on that one...